Thursday, 14 July 2011

Ramblings: Interruptions


I'm not sure if everyone will have guessed why I called the blog "Boy, Interrupted" so let me explain. It's after one of my favourite films, "Girl, Interrupted" from 1999 starring the fantastic Winona Ryder. There was a sheer feat of brilliance here in the casting. They cast mad actresses in a film about mad people and it worked a treat. You can't get much crazier than Angelina Jolie, Winona and the late Brittany Murphy. They played deranged with a touch of genius. It's a moving film but is also quite uplifting and funny in parts too.

I've always been drawn to the darker side of life, especially when it's depicted in art, films or books. As Chekov said "'All happy families are alike. Every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way'. Happiness is a bit dull to watch. It's so samey. Madness and despair are much more interesting to watch, unless it's your own in the mirror. Some of my best friends, well most of my friends, tend towards a little light madness now and then. I've had the odd "interruption" in my life too, from time to time.

There's a hilarious scene in the film which I love. "Peppermint dick! Peppermint clit!". Watch it and howl and bark along.

No comments: